Monday 21 June 2010

In My Mailbox (56)

Idea taken from The Story Siren


Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma.

Sixteen-year-old Maya and seventeen-year-old Lochan have never had the chance to be 'normal' teenagers. Having pulled together for years to take care of their younger siblings while their wayward, drunken mother leaves them to fend alone, they have become much more than brother and sister. And now, they have fallen in love. But this is a love that can never be allowed, a love that will have devastating consequences ...How can something so wrong feel so right?


Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson.

Since the beginning of the school year, high school freshman Melinda has found that it's been getting harder and harder for her to speak out loud: "My throat is always sore, my lips raw.... Every time I try to talk to my parents or a teacher, I sputter or freeze.... It's like I have some kind of spastic laryngitis." What could have caused Melinda to suddenly fall mute? Could it be due to the fact that no one at school is speaking to her because she called the cops and got everyone busted at the seniors' big end-of-summer party? Or maybe it's because her parents' only form of communication is Post-It notes written on their way out the door to their nine-to-whenever jobs. While Melinda is bothered by these things, deep down she knows the real reason why she's been struck mute...


Ash by Malinda Lo.

In the wake of her father’s death, Ash is left at the mercy of her cruel stepmother. Consumed with grief, her only joy comes by the light of the dying hearth fire, re-reading the fairy tales her mother once told her. In her dreams, someday the fairies will steal her away, as they are said to do. When she meets the dark and dangerous fairy Sidhean, she believes that her wish may be granted.

The day that Ash meets Kaisa, the King’s Huntress, her heart begins to change. Instead of chasing fairies, Ash learns to hunt with Kaisa. Though their friendship is as delicate as a new bloom, it reawakens Ash’s capacity for love—and her desire to live. But Sidhean has already claimed Ash for his own, and she must make a choice between fairy tale dreams and true love.

Entrancing and romantic, Ash is an empowering retelling of Cinderella about choosing life and love over solitude and death, where transformation can come from even the deepest grief.



I don't think I need to remind you how great Ash and Speak are. I've been dying to read these books and finally I can get my hands on the copies. Forbidden arrived in a surprise package and the issue seems very delicate I'm curious to see how the author handles it. In the other words, I can't wait to start reading these.

Thanks Theresa from Hachette Aus and Randomhouse UK for sending me all the books ^^

6 comments:

The Readings of a Busy Mom said...

forbidden and Ash sound like great books, enjoy reading them

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I really want to read Forbidden. It sounds amazing.

-Lauren

Anonymous said...

Speak is fantastic, I hope you like it. :) I look forward to your review on Forbidden. Enjoy! :D

prophecygirl said...

What a great week! Hope you enjoy them all and looking forward to hearing what you think of them! (Especially Forbidden).

So Many Books, So Little Time said...

Forbidden is extraordinary. I loved every word of it. I hope you do too!

Anonymous said...

Speak is great. Just couldn't get into Ash though- I was really disappointed by it. Forbidden sounds really good; SoManyBooksSoLitteTime wrote a lovely review, really prasing it. Very intrigued :)