Thursday 7 October 2010

THE BOOK REVIEW CLUB OCT 2010 - Baby Proof by Emily Griffin

Publisher: Orion
Pub. Date: August 2nd 2006
Age Range: Adult
Pages: 320
Format: paperback
Source Of Copy: purchase

First comes love. Then comes marriage. Then comes....a baby carriage? Isnt that what all women want? Not so for Claudia Parr. And just as she gives up on finding a man who feels the same way, she meets warm, wonderful Ben. Things seem too good to be true when they fall in love and agree to buck tradition with a satisfying, child-free marriage. Then the unexpected occurs: one of them has a change of heart. One of them wants children after all.

This is the witty, heartfelt story about what happens to the perfect couple when they suddenly want different things. Its about feeling that your life is set and then realizing that nothing is as you thought it was- and that there is no possible compromise. Its about deciding what is most important in life, and taking chances to get it. But most of all, its about the things we will do- and wont do- for love.



This is the second time that I review an adult book on my blog. Last time it was P.S I love you which I didn't like really much. But this book, Baby Proof is a truly heartfelt and lovely read that I want to recommend to all the female I know.

The plot of the story revolves around the issue of having a baby or not. The author has an excellent way to introduce readers into the core of the problem. It's simple, straightforward yet still interesting. I feel connected to the characters and their story immediately.

The story progresses slowly as it introduces more cases of people with baby problems, letting us see the view from lots of sides. What I love about it that Emily Griffin can convince me on the spot that Claudia not having a baby is a normal and righteous thing. Having said that, as I see and understand more of the female lead, the reason for her strange choice considering children comes out naturally.

Baby Proof doesn't have many conversations, it's mostly in monologue which I don't usually like but I am, for some reason, intrigued by the story. It's a real page turner. I love Claudia and Ben, they're such realistic and nice characters. It's just a pity I don't get to see much of Ben (even less than Richard!!!)

Well, the book has an open ending which is satisfying because I don't think you should force yourself to do something out of love when you're not ready for it. But because of love you should always have a try.

Rating: 4.5/5

2 comments:

Noah built the ark said...

Liked your style of writing. Interesting blog you have. I heard about the book before as well but wasn't sure whether to go for it or not but now I am definitely going to buy it.

Barrie said...

I do like Emily Griffen.