Sunday 18 October 2009

Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Pub. Date: Oct 13th 2009
Age Range: 12+
Pages: 400
Format: ARC
Source of copy: from the publisher - S&S USA

For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch came along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment. But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure who to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel. For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.


Hush Hush was a very exciting book. If I had to find a complicated way to describe the story, it was like...how Nora felt about Patch. You'd be afraid to approach it because you didn't know if it'd turn out the way you expected, then you'd allow yourself to read a little bit, then a little bit until you got completely sucked into the novel. Yeah, this book seemed to have that power over me.

Nora and Patch's adventure was very mysterious and dark, supported by the well chosen almost isolated background of the locations. Everything about Hush Hush made me curious. The readers' vision would be limited and you just had to keep guessing and guessing throughout the progress. There were a few twists you might love and if you were a fan of thrillers you could expect some great scenes of your taste too. Of course, romance fans wouldn't be disappointed either. In fact, they'd be more than pleased with Nora and Patch's dangerous love story. Becca Fitzpatrick's writing was smooth and powerful. Like I said, it'd lure you into the story.

Let's get to the most exciting part of Hush Hush: Patch. I liked that bad boy. He was not "every mother tells her daughter to keep away from" bad but "we gotta move to another planet" bad. He was not just saying inappropriate things, treating girls the wrong way, he was also murderous. The frame of Patch's character was fun, especially the idea of fallen angels and the like. Like any other male lead, he was heroic and loved the girl to death, but I wish he would show more of love than lust to Nora. It was a little odd whenever they got too so-called perverted conversations. And Nora. All I can say is...arg. I mean her character wasn't that bad, but I did expect someone to match with the fun and insanity that Patch brought to the novel. She was so uptight. I couldn't remember a moment when she actually enjoyed herself. Almost what she did was fearing, suspecting and falling deeper for Patch days after day, which was sad. Her friend Vee was even worse. Totally clueless. You got attacked by some anonymous and now you went out at night with the guys your bestfriend considered harmful?

Because my copy is an ARC and its ending is different from the real one, excuse me that I'm not going to talk much about it today. The ending that I got was typical so I hope the ones you guys get would be a kick ass kind.

Overall it was a great read, just not omgitssodamnawesome read. Good girls who like bad boys, get your very own copy now. And please don't be too sad over the fact Patch is already someone else's.


Rating: 3.5/5

4 comments:

Diana Dang said...

Thanks for your honest review! Hm, the ARC and the published copy have different endings? I wonder what the ending is like for both...

Just Your Typical Book Blog said...

I read the ARC but haven't gotten a chance to pick up a copy yet. I'm so curious of what the ending is now. I LOVED this book and Patch - hot damn! (Yes, I'm a bad boy lover here!) I agree, Nora wasn't my favorite for a MC. I acutally was more interested in Patch than her. I am really excited to see the second book.

debbie said...

this story reminds me of a song hush hush haha !!

chocowafer said...

I read the hardcover copy and I'm curious how the one in the ARC ended too! Haha. I'm not sure at which point of the 'ending' the two deviated. Hmm.