Tuesday 30 June 2009

In My Mailbox (23)

Idea taken from The Story Siren


Ruby Unscripted by Cindy Martinusen Coloma.

Ruby's finding out that life is all about improv . . .

Small-town girl Ruby Madden has moved to Marin County, California; home of high-dollar homes and green living. The girls wear shoes that cost more than her entire paycheck at the Underground Coffeehouse & Theater, and the students are well-traveled and full of life experiences that Ruby can only dream of.

All the stresses of adjusting to her new life have put a strain on her ability to trust God. Yet when mysterious and eye-catching Kaden invites Ruby to join the school's film group, the puzzle pieces start to fit. Her love of art finds perfect expression and the film friends seem to really get her. When a major Hollywood director hosts an amateur film contest, Ruby and her friends are stoked.

But Ruby's old life is tugging her backward and her frantic balancing act throws her new life totally off track. To top things off, Ruby makes a mistake that could cost her the chance of a lifetime.

Life would be so much easier if Ruby just had a script to follow with a happy ending guaranteed. But what's the fun in that?

I like the idea of this book: moving to somewhere new, finding a lot of different things and adjusting your life. The title sounds cute too right? And I could even love the cover if it weren't for the weird skin of the girl. It feels creepy.


Dragonfly by Julia Golding.

Princess Taoshira is appalled when she is ordered to marry Prince Ramil ac Burinholt in order to unite their lands. And Ramil's not too pleased either. They hate each other on sight. So when she and Ramil are kidnapped, they fear there's no escape - either from their kidnappers or from each other.

Can they put aside their differences long enough to survive ambush, unarmed combat, brainwashing and imprisonment? And will the people they meet on their extraordinary adventure - including a circus strongman, a daring rebel leader, a sinister master of spies and the best female fighter they have ever seen - help them or betray them to the enemy..?

This book had a great year back in 2008 in UK and now it finally makes its way to us. I like how it seems both dark and fun. Arranged marriage is my thing and I've not encountered such a book on this subject so I'm thrilled to receive this one. Heart the cover, it's ways more appealing than the UK one.


Rules by Cynthia Lord.

Twelve-year-old Catherine just wants a normal life. Which is near impossible when you have a brother with autism and a family that revolves around his disability. She's spent years trying to teach David the rules from "a peach is not a funny-looking apple" to "keep your pants on in public"---in order to head off David's embarrassing behaviors.

But the summer Catherine meets Jason, a surprising, new sort-of friend, and Kristi, the next-door friend she's always wished for, it's her own shocking behavior that turns everything upside down and forces her to ask: What is normal?


I found out about this book at Harmony Reviews site and it's too cute for me to ignore. Even though it's a MG book, it's said to teach us teenagers a lot of things about life in the most natural way. You should check it out someday too.


Thanks to Julia, Cindy and Cynthia as well as their publicists for sending me the books!<3

So what have you got for the past 7 days? Have you read any of the above? Tell me how you think.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Dragonfly sounds like my kind of book. I love the cover. I can't wait to see what you think of it! Enjoy.

prophecygirl said...

I agree your Dragonfly cover is better than the UK one. Nice!

Bookworm said...

Ruby Unscripted looks good...I actually live in Marin County, so it's funny to hear about it in a book!

Annie. said...

Dragonfly sounds quite interesting. Lovely cover too! I would so like to read it. Might go look for it. I wonder if they have it here in Australia.

Great blog Amber! Keep up the good work babe.

Kristen said...

Lots of great books this week! I really loved Rules when I read it last summer, cute read. Dragonfly looks really good and I love the cover.