Wednesday 10 March 2010

Sing Me To Sleep by Angela Morrison

Publisher: Razorbill
Pub.Date: March 4th 2010
Age Range: Young Adult
Pages: 320
Format: ARC
Source of copy: from the author - Angela Morrison

THE TRANSFORMATION

Beth has always been “The Beast”—that’s what everyone at school calls her because of her awkward height, facial scars, and thick glasses. Beth’s only friend is geeky, golden-haired Scott. That is, until she’s selected to be her choir’s soprano soloist, and receives the makeover that will change her life forever.

THE LOVE AFFAIR

When Beth’s choir travels to Switzerland, she meets Derek: pale, brooding, totally dreamy. Derek’s untethered passion—for music, and for Beth—leaves her breathless. Because in Derek’s eyes? She’s not The Beast, she’s The Beauty.

THE IMPOSSIBLE CHOICE

When Beth comes home, Scott, her best friend in the world, makes a confession that leaves her completely torn. Should she stand by sweet, steady Scott or follow the dangerous, intense new feelings she has for Derek?

THE HEARTBREAK

The closer Beth gets to Derek, the further away he seems. Then Beth discovers that Derek’s been hiding a dark secret from her …one that could shatter everything.



Second book from Angela Morrison, another heartbreaking love story in companion with friendship and passion for music.

If you have read Angela's debut book Taken By Storm, it's certain that you'll find similar feelings reading Sing Me To Sleep. Even from the very start, it's unreasonably sad and you automatically expect nothing but a painful ending. However, I don't think it's much to the point of depression, so it's tolerable even to those who don't like emotional read that much.

The plot of the book is nice but the synopsis gave almost everything away. You could predict the whole thing just by reading the summary, thus it lessens your curiosity and excitement for the story. It'd be nicer if I had the chance myself to analyze the character and guess what would happen next.

I don't think I like Beth much. There's something so meek about her that puts me off. She's surely a nice girl with a good voice but I don't like her acting too dependent on her boyfriend like that. Her family background is so dark too. I like Derek because even though I can tell how things will end, he still sort of keeps to himself an air of mystery. And he's a great guy after all. Scott is...I'm not sure what to think of him.

The end is heartbreaking but also vague so well you can hope for a better future for all.

Conclusion: nice book. Suitable for those who love sad stories.

Rating: 3.5/5

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard this one is sad and because I have the habit of reading the author acknowledgments before reading the story I think I pretty much know what's going to happen. Nonetheless, I'm still looking forward to continuing.

Thanks for your review! :)

Anonymous said...

Nice fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.

debbie said...

I read Taken By Storm. I think the book is okay. I want to try this =)

Trollololol said...

Very honest review. I now regret having read the synopsis. Oh well, I still want to read it! :)