Wednesday 1 September 2010

THE BOOK REVIEW CLUB SEPT 2010: Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead

Publisher: Penguin Aus
Pub.Date: May 18th 2010
Age Range: Young Adult
Pages: 489
Format: paperback
Source Of Copy: from the publisher

Salvation has its price.
The words stunned Adrian for a moment, but he kept going. "You're lying. What you're describing is impossible. There's no way to save a Strigoi. When they're gone, they're gone. They're dead. Undead. Forever."

Robert's next words weren't directed at Adrian. They were spoken to me. "That which is dead doesn't always stay dead...."

After a long and heartbreaking journey to Dimitri’s birthplace in Siberia, Rose Hathaway has finally returned to St. Vladimir’s—and to her best friend, Lissa Dragomir. It's graduation, and the girls can’t wait for their real lives outside of the Academy’s cold iron gates to finally begin. But even with the intrigue and excitement of court life looming, Rose’s heart still aches for Dimitri. He's out there, somewhere.

She failed to kill him when she had the chance, and now her worst fears are about to come true. Dimitri has tasted her blood, and she knows in her heart that he is hunting her. And if Rose won't join him, he won't rest until he's silenced her...forever.

But Rose can't forget what she learned on her journey—whispers of a magic too impossible and terrifying to comprehend. A magic inextricably tied to Lissa that could hold the answer to all of Rose's prayers, but not without devastating consequences. Now Rose will have to decide what—and who—matters most to her. In the end, is true love really worth the price?



Again I chose a Vampire Academy title for the book review club this month. This sensationally heart-throbbing, adventurous and romantic series has turned me into a vampire lover, and if you pick it up, I'm sure you'll be the next.

I think I've complimented plenty on Richelle Mead's writing so I'm going to keep it short this time. Her narration is perfect - fierce, strong and never lacks emotions. The pace is balanced - slow or fast depends on the situations. She has successfully created a world that makes you feel almost no different from our ordinary one, yet it's so mysterious and interesting you keep being sucked into it. Focusing on vampires only and no other creatures, but with myths and legends it's just as compelling (or even more compelling?) than any complicated paranormal read could afford to be.

Spirit Bound, to me, is the best Vampire Academy book that I've read so far. There has been a lot of ups and downs in this installment. It's eventful, it's surprising, it's shocking. It gives you hope then puts you into a confused state. Things have started to get harder now that Rose has a license to kill and has to face the ultimate choice of her life. Unlike book 4 where there's just a lot of reminiscence at first, this part goes straight to the actions and there are no shortages of fights in the rest of the book either. One more thing I like about not only this book the whole series is that I tend to get annoyed when there are so many characters but with Vampire Academy when someone new is introduced, it gets me excited and they aren't random people either, they have personalities that attract you one way or another.

The most satisfying feature of Spirit Bound aside from the thrilling plot is the character development. I won't say it in detailed in case it ruins all the fun but you will surely be pleased with how Richelle Mead dealt with her characters. They still keep the passion, the strength, the silliness and recklessness of youth, but they also have become mature through certain happenings. Sometimes it's irritating because you don't know why they act like it, but then it all makes sense if you put yourself into their places. Their relationships surely played an important part in this book too, some changes are welcomed while others may break your heart. And above all, Vampire Academy characters never lost their significant trademark(?) - they're all fierce and inspiring. The one that grows on me the most through this book is Adrian. But I won't say why because you have to find out yourself.

Overall it's a great book that you can read and reread and never get bored. But if you haven't picked it up yet, I suggest starting it in the middle of this December (when the next book is about to come out) because you won't like the huge cliffhanger that the author is going leave you with.

Rating: 5/5

10 comments:

Annie. said...

I'm going to take your advice and get this book at the middle of December. I hate cliffhangers more than anything.

debbie said...

So you're done with this book? Bring it to my house right away. My break is about to start so I'll have time for this 500 page book. Yay : )

Sarah Laurence said...

My teenaged daughter loved this series at first but gave up on it later. Your review helps me to understand why. I enjoyed your other reviews below too.

Ellen Booraem said...

I've avoided vampire books so far, but you're beginning to make me think that's a mistake. Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm for this series!

Mina Burrows said...

Well said. I really liked this book as well. It's not my favorite but it's a thriller just the same.

Keri Mikulski said...

Love this series. Thanks for the review! :)

Stacy said...

Sounds interesting. I haven't read any of the series, but I've heard good things about it.

Barrie said...

This has certainly been a popular series. Maybe I should take the plunge. ;)

kaylie said...

The series seems to get better and better doesn't it? I'm kinda sad it comes to an end soon but Last Sacrifice should be epic!

Anonymous said...

Hi there

Awesome blog, great write up, thank you!