Sunday 20 September 2009

Lock And Key by Sarah Dessen

Publisher: Penguin Aus.
Pub. Date: April 7th 2008
Age range: Young Adult
Pages: 432
Format: paperback
Source of copy: from the publisher - Penguin Aus

Ruby Cooper likes to expect the worst.

That way, she's never disappointed.

Abandoned by her mother and forced to leave the house she calls home, ruby is facing too many changes. Her world has been transformed into a life of luxury by her long-lost sister, but all Ruby wants to do is leave - she can make it on her own. Even Nate, the gorgeous boy next door, can't seem to change her mind. Will Ruby realise first impressions don't always count? And sometimes, people can surprise you, so it's OK to let the closest one in ...



Another lovable read from Sarah Dessen, not essentially the most outstanding books she's written but still very charming.

Having read three of her stories, I drew out the same concept/pattern. There's always a family issue, added to which self-mystery and lovelife problem. Like one of the character in After The Moment by Garret Freymann-Weyr has said "the stories are the same, only details are different." That, though, doesn't mean Lock And Key appeared to be a boring one. In contrast, each book has its specialty and for Lock And Key, it's sisterhood and faith in yourself as well as other people around.

There's no need to tell you how great Sarah Dessen's style of writing again since I've elaborated that in the other reviews. But for those who haven't got your hands up on any books by the author, I can assure you'll fall in love with the serene feeling and well planned details of the story. I'm usually the type who goes for dialogues, but with this book it was totally the opposite. Memories of sadness of Ruby seemed to appeal me more than the conversations she had with either Cora or Nate or Jamie because of its depth and a light touch of nostalgia. The plot also had a semi twist. Instead of being helped to open her heart more, Ruby learnt it from encouraging others to do the same thing.

Unlike Macy and Auden who strictly followed the rules, our main character Ruby was a little wild and carefree. She didn't ask so much of life and expected people not to hold high hope for her either. She was afraid of commitment, attachment, any kind of relationship that would break her heart once broken. In terms of supporting characters, I wasn't crazy about Nate (except for the fact that he likes swimming) and Cora's part could have been more significant; however, I had a liking towards Jamie. Anyone, everyone would love to have a brother in law like him.

The ending was less stormy and impressive than The Truth About Forever and Along For The Ride, a nice one nevertheless. Recommended to fans of Sarah Dessen or whoever likes deep, peaceful writing.

Rating: 3.5/5

5 comments:

Just Your Typical Book Blog said...

Nice review! This wasn't one of my favorites done by her, but still a good book. I also loved Jamie. He was one of my favorite characters out of the book.

I've probably said this before, but you must read This Lullaby! :)

Yan said...

I think she wrote this during her pregnancy which might explain the less than stellar ending xP

~The Book Pixie said...

I have read two of Sarah Dessen's books, The Truth About Forever and Just Listen, and I loved them both. I have heard from other people that this one wasn't as amazing as the others but still really good. A great review and I look forward to reading this book for myself.

~Briana

Lisa said...

I just ordered this one from Paperbackswap.com, I'm sure it'll be forever before I get to it but it feels good to have my Dessen collection grow.

Kelly said...

Thanks for the review, Thao! I haven't read Truth about Forever or this one, so I'll start with TaF.

Love this cover, though!