Wednesday 16 September 2009

Waiting On Wednesday (30)

Idea taken from Breaking The Spine

The Mark by Jen Nadol.

Sixteen-year old Cassie Renfield has seen the mark since forever: a glow around certain people as if a candle were held behind their back. The one time she pointed it out taught her she shouldn't do it again, so Cassie has kept quiet, considering its rare appearances odd, but insignificant. Until she watches a man die. Mining her memories, Cassie realizes she can see a person's imminent death. Now how or where, only when: today. Cassie searches her past, her philosophy lessons, even her new boyfriend for answers, always careful to keep her secret. How does the mark work? Why her? Most importantly, if you know today is someone's last, should you tell?


I think the idea is very typical, like how an hero/heroine sees numbers above people's heads and then tell exactly when they're going to die. But there's still something about it that still catches my full attention. Perhaps it's because Cassie only knows the last day of their lives, the matter of death is stronger and more intense. And I'm not going to die, I like the book partly because of the gorgeous cover.

Wants to know how the mark works? Jan 19th 2010 is the day!

8 comments:

debbie said...

This book sounds interesting ... love the color of the cover !! hehe ... la cha la cha ta ta =))

Jess (The Cozy Reader) said...

I hope you don't "die"!

Popular WoW this week! It's mine too!

prophecygirl said...

Another great pick Thao! I can't wait to get my hands on this one too :)

A Passion For Books said...

I can't wait for this book either. The summary is very intriguing and I love the cover too. A lot better than the other. Great pick!

Just Your Typical Book Blog said...

I hadn't seen this one yet, but I love the idea. The only time I've ever seen anything like this was in a 3 Doors Down video...hopefully that didn't sound lame, lol

Amber

Natascha De Marco said...

I want to read this one also ^^

Annie. said...

Oh I'll look out for this one. I take a liking to books that revolve around unexplainable happenings/powers.

Very intriguing to read just the short book description there. Definitely something I'll give a try.

The cover is also very pretty. Pretty covers mean more than people think. And yes, I know....never judge a book by it's cover...but eh...doesn't hurt to have a nice cover. ^^

Kelly said...

The cover isn't that great, IMO, but the premise sounds cool.

How do you stay on top of these cool upcoming releases? :)