Friday 20 November 2009

Friday Flavor (4) Pam Bachorz Couldn't Pick A Single Favorite Book...

for Friday Flavor this week because she just loves too many books to even begin with. ANNE OF GREEN GABLES, DOWN A DARK HALL & SUNFIRE ROMANCES are the ones. Let's see how these books appeal to her and why she can't not pick one of the three.


I was waffling between L.M. Montgomery's ANNE OF GREEN GABLES, Lois Duncan's DOWN A DARK HALL, or... the pile of beloved paperbacks on their own special shelf: SUNFIRE ROMANCES. But I have a ton of them! How could I pick one?

I didn't. I choose them all! (see picture!). I read these while growing up; unfortunately I don't think they're in print anymore but I've seen used copies for not much $$ on Amazon, EBay, etc. Sunfire Romances each focus on a different girl, living in a different time in the USA. There's a strong romantic plot line in each (duh, look at the title, right?) but there's also a rich storyline based on the events and climate of the time, too. They run the gamut from 1600s Massachusetts to the western frontier to Pearl Harbor to the birth of women's rights. More info about them here: http://www.geocities.com/brynahilde/sunfire/. My only complaint? They never titled one PAMELA! (I spent a lot of time daydreaming about this. Which time period would they pick? Maybe the Roaring 20s in Saratoga Springs, I'd like that. Would the girl on the cover look like me? I hoped she'd pick the ruffian for her true love. I liked the girls who did that.)

I loved these books because the historical stories were great, you never really knew which guy the heroine was going to pick, and, well, the covers were really pretty, at least to my tween self. They were also a very satisfying length, to start, until they almost halved in size (and at the same time the girls on the cover seemed to get thinner... weird.) I also credit SUNFIRE with being instrumental to my getting the highest grade on the AP American History test, years after I'd stopped reading them! So, history students, put down your textbooks and pick up a SUNFIRE ROMANCE!






So, are you in favor of historical fictions? If you are, tell us about one or two titles you're in love with.

2 comments:

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

Awesome post! Love these books!!!

Tina's Blog said...

I, too, have a stack of Sunfire Romances that I read in middle school. I love them! These probably gave me my first taste of historical fiction - one of my favorite genres now.