Sunday 22 November 2009

This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen

Publisher: Hodder Children's Books
Pub. Date: July 24th 2008
Age Range: Age 12 and up
Pages: 384
Format: paperback
Source Of Copy: from publisher - Hodder Children's Books

Remy doesn't believe in love. And why should she? Her romance novelist mother is working on her fifth marriage, and her father, a '70s hippie singer, left her with only a one-hit wonder song to remember him by. Every time Remy hears "This Lullaby," it feels like "a bruise that never quite healed right." "Wherever you may go / I will let you down / But this lullaby plays on..." Never without a boyfriend, Remy is a compulsive dater, but before a guy can go all "Ken" on her (as in "ultra boyfriend behavior") she cuts him off, without ever getting close or getting hurt. That's why she's stunned when klutzy, quirky, alterna-band boy Dexter inserts himself into her life and refuses to leave. Remy's been accepted to Stanford, and she plans on having her usual summer fling before tying up the loose ends of her pre-college life and heading for the coast. Except Dexter's not following Remy's tried-and-true rules of break-up protocol. And for the first time, Remy's questioning whether or not she wants him to.



This Lullaby is definitely the best Sarah Dessen book I've read so far, and can possibly be the best she's has written all over the years. It's the perfect combination of her usual style - laid back, thought-provoking with something new and exciting - rebellious, carefree and love-feared main character.

Natural plotline. That's the first thing I noticed about this book. Many have written about teenage girls who have lost faith in love but I always find them either too forceful or dramatic. With Remy's story, I felt nothing but the thrill to explore more about this. The girl doesn't remain aloof, she doesn't dread going out with boys at all. She just has no interest in long-termed relationship or commitment.

Music plays a very important part in This Lullaby. The song is really short but I can guarantee that you will fall in love with the lyric, it's meaningful and at the same time inspiring. This Lullaby holds the connection of the girl with her late father, and maybe with the musician boy Dexter too.

This Luallby excels the other books by Sarah Dessen, in my opinion, because it doesn't repeat the same texture the rest of her stories follow. This book focuses more on the subject of love than family. There're a whole range of characters, making the story less quiet. Our protagonist is not lonely either, she has a circle of friends whom she can totally trust. And she gith

Remy is awesome. I love how Sarah Dessen framed her character. She's not the perfect girl type like Macy or Auden, she resembles Ruby but in a stronger way. She does a lot of not-so-good things like drinking, smoking, sleeping around with guys, yet her image is still nice - a girl who always looks out for her mother and is adored by tons of the opposite sex. Sometimes she's bitchy and bitter too, but I like it a lot. (I've just discovered that I love reading about bitter characters?!) In compared to her match - Dexter, Remy is more mature and thoughtful. Speaking of Dexter, he's different from Wes, Nate and Eli, very different. He's impulsive, he's childish, he's untidy but he's also more fun and open-hearted, the kind that is not shy to express his feelings to the girl he falls at first sight. And did I mention that no only is he talented but also super sweet? That let's-be-friend thing is just unexpected of him.

As I said, (or have said a thousands of times)I like reading bout love so this is the perfect book for me. Remy learns that making light of love doesn't make her any stronger, if anything, she's considered weak for not having the guts to lay her love on someone just because she doesn't know what the future holds for the two. Sometimes love fails us and sometimes we fail love; however, that doesn't matter, because the great time it brings is priceless. Great message isn't it?

An amazing book by Sarah Dessen for teens who is going to fall in love or is already deep in it, promising 384 pages that will warm your heart and soul.

Rating: 4.5/5

6 comments:

debbie said...

I'll get one ... nextweek because now i'm running out of money :( poor baggio's wife :( =))

Bookalicious Ramblings said...

Thanks for the great review! I've a couple of other Dessen books and they were fantastic! Now I'm even more excited about this one since you say it's the best one yet! How good can this woman possibly get, honestly? ;) I wasn't sure if I'd like her books, but there's just something about her writing that's really captivating and lovely.

Kelsey said...

I loved this book as well! Great review(:

Steph Su said...

YES! I totally agree with you that this is Sarah's best book, because of how it's so different from the others. I mean, first of all you've got Remy, who's a spunky b*tch. Then there's Dexter, who's off-the-wall crazy and cute because of it! I'm so glad you enjoyed it as much as I did!

Anonymous said...

This book is amazing!! My second favourite right after The Truth About Forever.

Barrie said...

I'm going to see if I can get an ARC of this. So that I don't have to wait... ;)