Monday 30 November 2009

If I Have A Wicked Stepmother, Where's My Prince? by Melissa Kantor

Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Pub. Date: April 1st 2007
Age Rang: Young Adult
Pages: 304
Format: paperback
Source of copy: from the publisher - Disney Hyperion

Wicked stepmother? Check.
Evil stepsisters? Check.
Miserable life? Check.

Lucy Norton's life has all the makings of a Cinderella story. Her dad's always away on business, leaving Lucy with her cruel stepmother and bratty stepsisters. She's burdened with chores, and has a hard time fitting in at her new school. So when she sees Connor Pearson, the star player on the varsity basketball team, Lucy hopes her destiny has finally changed. With everything else going on in her life, doesn't she at least deserve to get the handsome prince?


A retelling of Cinderella with a more light-hearted plot and some twist, If I Have A Wicked Stepmother, Where Is My Prince? is a heartwarming story for those who truly believe that fairy tales can happen in real life. The story has its flaws; however, that doesn't stop lots of readers to enjoy it.

If I Have A Wicked Stepmother, Where Is My Prince? has all the qualities of a fairy tale: it has the bad ones, the good ones and miracles. It also stays really true to the classic version of Cinderella. Even though it's set in modern times, it resembles the original one in the background really much. The subordinate characters and how they first appear, are exactly the same as those we once read about when we were younger. That makes me feel happy, like I'm going through the emotions I had for Cinderella when I was introduced to it the first time, but also I'm looking forward for a change.

The new details and twist are nice. I don't say that they're mind-blowing or brilliant but for a quick and cute read they contribute quite a lot to the story. Lucy has a guy all smitten for her in the middle of the story but he's not necessary her real prince. And there's a lot of tension between the Lucy and her step-mother at first, but then their relationship gets much better. Lucy too, is a new refreshing version of Cinderella. Although she's in such a bad situation, she sounds calm and never too meek. I love the fact that she has a slight humor and that she's passionate for art.

Ironic as it might sound, what I find kinda confusing is the twist. I mean Connor seems very nice to Lucy and their relationship has potential to develop into real love if they spend more time with each other and stop talking just about sports. That's way more persuasive than Lucy falling in love with Sam with light speed. And it still seems weird as well how the mother and the daughter make up so smoothly, almost without much effort.

To sum up, this book is a lovely retelling of Cinderella even when it lacks the wow factor. Suitable for a read in the garden on a sunshineful Sunday.

Rating: 3/5

3 comments:

Diana Dang said...

Great review. I keep seeing this one in the library but never picked it up. I'll look into it if I have time.

Just Your Typical Book Blog said...

Nice review! I have this book on my shelf and thought it looked like a cute read. One day I'll get to it.

Jenn (Books At Midnight) said...

Thanks for the great review! I've seen this around in my library a few times and while you make it sound like a cute retelling of Cinderella, and one that sticks close to the original (which I like), it doesn't seem like something I'll be rushing out to get.