Tuesday 5 May 2009

Waiting On Wednesday (14)

Idea taken from Breaking The Spine.

Ballads Of Suburbia by Stephanie Kuehnert.

Ballads are the kind of songs that Kara McNaughton likes best. Not the cliched ones where a diva hits her highest note or a rock band tones it down a couple of notches for the ladies, but the true ballads: the punk rocker or the country crooner telling the story of their life in three minutes, the chorus reminding their listeners of the numerous ways to screw things up. In high school, Kara helped maintain the "Stories of Suburbia" notebook, which contained newspaper articles about bizarre and often tragic events from suburbs all over and personal vignettes that Kara dubbed "ballads" written by her friends in Oak Park, a suburb of Chicago. Those "ballads" were heartbreakingly honest tales of the moments when life changes and a kid is forced to grow up too soon. But Kara never wrote her own ballad. Before she could figure out what her song was about, she was leaving town after a series of disastrous events at the end of her junior year. Four years later, Kara returns to face the music, and tells the tale of her first three years of high school with her friends' "ballads" interspersed throughout.

What can I say? I love Stephanie Kuehnert. It's so exciting to learn that her upcoming book is also about life, love, music and everything in between. The plot excites me more than I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone did, more intense and nostalgic perhaps. I really cannot wait to see how Kara's ballads are going to be. Oh and I have to say, I adore the title and the cover of the book so much *squeals*




Since I want to make you as hyped up as me, I have to post this trailer :)




Listen to the ballads on the July 21st. You know you want to.

2 comments:

prophecygirl said...

It sounds brilliant!

Barrie said...

That is an amazing book trailer!